Pacific Health Realities: The Way Forward – Conference Statement
Pacific delegates from 10 countries across the Pacific region attended the Pasifika Medical Association’s (PMA) 20th annual health conference, “Pacific Health Realities: The Way Forward” hosted by the Pacific Community (SPC) in Noumea, New Caledonia.
Participants who attended the meeting represented the broad diversity of health professionals, from Ministers of Health, to surgeons, doctors, nurses, managers, researchers and evaluators.
Conference delegates discussed Climate Change and Health; Social Investment; Using Research and Evidence Better; Human Resource Development; Health Security; Reproductive, Maternal, New Born and Adolescent Health; Child Psychiatry and Health Workforce Development.
“The Way Forward” for Pacific Health professionals and organisations in the region is:
- a commitment from PMA and SPC to establish a strategic partnership;
- to continue to strengthen health workforce development through targeted programmes for Pacific countries
- to develop monitoring and evaluation frameworks to support the better use of evidence to improve the lives of Pacific people in the region
- to encourage publication of the latest evidence through the Pacific Health Dialog (PHD)
- for professional organisations to commit to identifying practical steps can take to address the reality of climate change
PMA Chair, Mr Kiki Maoate thanked the Director General, Dr Colin Tukuitonga and the SPC team for their support and role in hosting a successful conference.
“Thank you once again to all delegates for taking the time to be with us, for the effort involved in travelling to the meeting and for your enthusiastic input into the meeting”.
We want to also take this opportunity to acknowledge and thank all our sponsors, volunteers and corporate supporters who have helped with making it possible for our regional members to attend this event.
- St Vincent’s Hospital Pacific Fund
- The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists – Faculty of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Pasifika Futures Ltd
The Conference presentations are now available on the website – http://pacifichealth.org.nz/pasifika-medical-association-2017-conference/